Monday, 14 January 2013

Look what I can do!

Sophia is a year old now, A WHOLE FREAKING YEAR! She is on the move and beginning to talk. I thought I would do a quick brag update on what she can do. Okay, yes I am bragging, I think she is pretty extremely smart and I want to show off! 


At the park by our local beach, just staring at the ocean

Firstly we will start off with words, her vocabulary currently consists of, Mama/Mum, Dada/Dad, Bubba, no, ta, Nana, cool, hi, pull, ball and I think she tries to say look. Which I don't think is too bad for just over 13 months. I must mention, when she says no. It is not just your normal no. No no, it has to be more, not only does she say no, she points her index finger, shakes her finger (well her hand) as well as her head and says no no no. This is really cute and funny but I have to try not to laugh. The times she does this is most is after she has done something she is not supposed to (like turning on the heated towel rail). As soon as she has done it, before I even get to speak, her wee finger comes out and she turns to me saying no no no (I must capture this on video for its full effect). 


Photo: Cooool!!!!
Looking 'cooool' - her words not mine!

Her newest word is cool. I think it started because whenever she tries to put on our sunglasses we say 'coool'. Nick is also a sucker for saying "that's pretty cool isn't it". So now when she put on sunglasses she says 'cooooool', and yes it is a really long drawn out word (obviously she does this for effect). I thought this was a neat trick and she was just mimicking what we had said to her, but now she was also pointing at the baubles on our Christmas tree and saying 'cooool'. She has also done it with a few of her toys, I think she has picked up on the fact that it means something is pretty neato (ha, or something to that effect).
She can also make some animal sounds. She can bark like a dog whenever we ask her what sound a doggy makes, she doesn't say woof, she actually imitates a dogs bark! The other animals she can do are bird, cat, horse, monkey, pig, sheep and cow! 




On the mobility front, she is still an avid crawler but we are seeing more and more walking. She will walk the whole length of our living room but she gets sick of it and then crawls. She can walk and has fantastic balance but she prefers crawling at this stage because it is faster for her!


First time having her hair up, she looks so grown up!

Sophia is LOVING music, and I have really noticed it more and more in the last few weeks, she really gets into the songs and rhymes we sing her and even requests them (starts doing the actions). She also has begun dancing, a lot. She does that awkward kinda baby jiggle, I really hope she gets her dads sense of rhythm and not mine, but if her dancing is anything to go by she might be out of luck!


We are still working on a few things, like sleeping through the night. Although, she is still nursing and I think sometimes she needs a wee comfort feed in the middle of the night. We are also working on how rough she is, she sometimes hits or grabs a little hard, usually when she is excited. She has become quite the wee tantrum thrower as well, when she doesn't get her way, her wee face will drop, the tears come and she drops to the ground, shortly followed by wanting to be picked up. However these are not things we dwell on, the sleep thing will work out and I know she is just excited when she is rough... The tantrum thing? I guess it is just a little kid thing, she doesn't get what she wants and she gets upset. She doesn't quite understand why she cant have it. We just deal with it by sticking to our guns about what we say but comforting her when she is upset. 


Kissing the Meer cat at the zoo (through glass of course).
 Sophia kisses things when she likes them (like toys, books, pictures etc)


That is about it from us, I have included some recent photos of the wee tike, just shots from her birthday, Christmas and times in between. Enjoy!




P.S I love these kind of updates on other peoples blogs, but please feel free to tell me if they don't interest you!

1 comment:

  1. I love posts like this and I quite frankly would rather hear a parent brag then not. It's refreshing when I hear or see a parent bragging because as parents we tend to cut ourselves down.

    ReplyDelete